Thursday, June 28, 2007

Visiting the pope - Vatican City, Rome, Italy - 10 August 2007

The second day of my Rome trip, I went to the Vatican. It seemed the pope was not home, or not giving audience to sheep somehow. I know I'm not a Agnus Dei, just a normal Agnus. So it was obvious I could not see him.

But I saw the Saint Peter's Square, the Saint Peter Basilica, the Vatican Museums, the tombs. And lone lines of people standing in the hot sun waiting to enter the basilica, museums, crypts. Well. Very crowded.
But also very beautiful and impressive. I would not want to miss this!

To see where these photo's were taken exactly, have a look at the interactive map and zoom in and out for a better overview.

Youssouf with a replica of a sheep statue in a shop of the Vatican Museums
Youssouf with a replica of a sheep statue in a shop of the Vatican Museums  - Vatican City, Rome, Italy - 10 August 2006

I loved the Vatican museum, well actually museums. There are just short of a dozen of museums out there. Actually a bit too much to see. Hundreds of statues, fresco's, religious artefacts.. It's not easy to have full attention for all of them. Of course the Sistine Chapel was amazing.


A copper sculpture at the Cortille del Pigna (part of the Vatican Museums)
A copper sculpture at the Cortille del Pigna (part of the Vatican Museums) - Vatican City, Rome, Italy - 10 August 2006

No Youssouf on this photo. I think I'm on a photo with a sculpture from the same artist in Milan. Have a look at that photo.


Overview of the Saint Peter's Square from the steps of Saint Peter's Basilica
Overview of the Saint Peter's Square from the steps of Saint Peter's Basilica - Youssouf in Vatican City, Rome, Italy - 10 August 2006

I did not see the pope. But I had the most lovely sunny weather looking out over the square where all the people can sit on Sundays. The Saint Peter's Basilica is beautiful.

For more info see Saint Peter's Square on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

dave_rein said...

Wa-hey. It's nice to see that Youssof is on the move again. Arie ve deci.

Youssouf said...

Yes, on the move, as always!
How about Teddybok?
Hope you've got some fancy plans.

I'm currently only posting my 'photo archive' ;-)