Monday, September 13, 2004

Youssouf in Turkey: Gallery Türkmen

As you know, I am just back from my trip to Turkey.

In popular touristic places like Kusadasi you find lots of shops.
They sell souvenirs (the protecting eye is very popular), t-shirts (all famous brands like Nike, Von Dutch, Armani, but all fake). There are lots of small bazaars where you can buy tea or spices. Or waterpipes, leather clothing and bags, onyx statues or pottery. Don't forget the famous gold shops (some I could call jewellry store) and carpet, rug & kelim shops.
If it is made in Turkey, you can find it.

Except for one store. A Turkmen store named Gallery Türkmen. With a large section of authentic products from Turkmenistan. Quite interesting - at least different from all the other shops - and nice products as well. Traditional hats with a 'bell-tower' for married women.
Well, you can see those things in museums for ethnology. Interesting for sure.

And good enough for making pictures :-)

On the first picture you can see me in the shop. With all those authentic hand made pots (I don't know the name, anyone??).
Youssouf in the Turkmen Shop

On the second picture me Youssouf on the top shelf with a giant Turkmen sheep made out of - I guess - iron and sheep horns. Really cool piece. It was a bit too big for my knapsack though (did not buy it).
Youssouf in the Turkmen Shop with a giant sheep

On the third picture me Youssouf with some of those boxes, this time not the new ones (that like a bit oldish), but some antique ones from 50 to 150 years old.
Youssouf in the Turkmen Shop with antique boxes

Really great :-)
On the card I have from the Türkmen Shop is a website location, but it does not seem to work. Anyways, if you want to visit the store: Türkmen Shop, Camikebir Mah. Safak Sok. No. 6, Kusadasi, Turkey. It is quite near the sea.

Nevertheless I hope you enjoy my little Turkmen adventure in Turkey. I always try to sniff for the odd things (12856 Turkish shops and I find the one Turkmen).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very coooool shop!!! I like the second picture most, eeeeeeeeeevil sheeeeeeep... :-)
Kwaakmans

Youssouf said...

Why an evil sheep, Kwaakmans? It looks a bit weird, but it is authentic Turkmen. I guess they don't make too much plush sheep in Turkmenistan...